Thursday, September 19, 2013

Caught

Fishing
A breeze came rippling up the river as I cast my line out over the water. The fishing had been poor and the water was really low. A few gusts had rolled through during my short time on the water, but I didn't pay it much mind. I watched as my flies drifted past and gave them a mighty heave ripping them from the surface of the water. I went back letting a little line slip through my fingers before pulling it forward again. As my line reached full backward extension a large gust of wind hit. My arm was already rhythmically thrusting forward at full speed.

The extended line blew up river with the wind and piled into the back of my head with great force. For some reason it felt as if someone had punched me in the head. I had put two flies on my line before entering the river. One to fish the surface and one to drag beneath. I looked down after the impact to see the top fly hanging from what i thought was my glasses. Upon removing my glasses I realized I had snagged something else. I put my hand to my face and came away with little bits of blood on my fingers. I laughed out loud to myself as I cut the line and made my way back to my car to call Neena. It took some figuring out but I eventually removed the fly from my nose. In the future I will probably think twice before fishing in gusting wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment