Friday, December 18, 2009

T.M.I. (To much info?)

Sometimes the body reacts to things, specifically injuries, in some weird ways. Through the years I have had my fair share of weird and painful things happen. Specifically in this post I would like to focus on a few things that have happened while snowboarding, it being winter and all. Although these two aren't the most painful of events they are brain busters.

In my younger years I thought it would be a great idea to do competitions. One sunny Saturday I was entered in a slope style event and I was feeling that nervous excitement which always seems to hang around competitive events. This feeling mixed with hitting jumps is most often not a good combo for me because for some reason I don't think very straight. As I dropped in and headed for the first jump I was so pumped I didn't pay much heed to my speed and as soon as I was spinning in the air I realized... I went just a little too fast. I landed really deep (pretty much flat) and bounced up with my adrenaline pumping. I finished my run and rode the rest of the day feeling great.

As I got home and pulled of my boot (yes, I used to drive in my boots. I know its a bad idea) my foot was completely black and blue from the little toe on up the side to my ankle. Not understanding why I didn't feel any pain during the day I poked my foot gingerly and found the whole side of my foot to be numb. It stayed that way for almost 3 months. I really don't know why...

The second weirdness to take place happens on a semi frequent basis. This is where I worry to be divulging to much info. When you hit a good sized jump and botch your landing sending your butt into the ground it is called "butt checking". Well, this happens to everyone fairly often and on occasion you can come down with a great deal of force.

Yesterday I took a really hard "butt check" on a jump and my body reacted. As I yelled and grabbed my butt I was convinced some brown matter had exploded through the escape hatch. I bounced up struggling to breathe. Did I really poop my pants? I didn't know. All I knew was that I felt as though I had been given a prostate exam by King Kong.

Don't worry, all was well and all was clean. The thing I don't understand is how nerves take the impact and send it off to the brain as "pooped pants". I was seriously convinced that I had messed myself, so much so that I was headed to the bathroom strait away to investigate. Luckily the feeling subsided before I got there. There is a long list of things I don't understand but yesterday made this one rise to the top of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment