Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hidden Chute: A long awaited line


Schedules really suck. Well... most of the time they do. I will be the first to admit that I have a terrible perception of time, and most of the time I like being late. I like not having to be in certain situations for a required amount of time. Knowing what time it is only matters when you are somewhere you don't really want to be. Time also tells you how much longer you have to be there before you can be where you really want. Thus I don't wear a watch unless there is something on the schedule that I need to be to, or I am somewhere I would rather not be.

I have to give schedules credit though. The amount that can be accomplished when tasks are planned is how our caffeinated, road raging, impatient society functions, produces, and progresses. There is also the added benefit of having to "roll with it," making sure an activity or task makes the most of the time set aside for it. Unless you fall under the lackadaisical portion of society that is subject to Murphy's Law (a task will swell in perceived importance and complexity in direct correlation to the time allotted to it). I guess my brain-clock works by going from task to task rather than from hour to hour. So today we had to "roll with it."

You are wondering why I am talking about schedules? Well, I am trying hard to adjust to having one. I have had a schedule my whole life, but now there are more consequences to my not keeping track of the time. Now punctuality becomes part of performance, and performance=$$.

Today I am glad I had a schedule, I had to be somewhere by 5 p.m.

After arriving at the parking lot to meet up with Forrest Shearer (who was in Jackson Hole at 6 this morning), we set out to do a line called "The Heart of Darkness" that lies just below the summit of Monte Cristo. The photos of that line are what made me really want to get into splitboarding. It kind of made me realize how much is out there to see and explore. After getting a late start we had to change our plans. So Forrest showed me the way to "Hidden Chute," a line I have been looking up at for years.

You stare up at these massive faces, you hear stories of people riding them, and you imagine what it would be like to be there. I truly believe that if you think about something enough, it will happen. All it takes is making the first step. It is that way with everything in life.

This little couloir was one of my favorite lines of the year. It wasn't epic powder, or even that great of snow for that matter, it was just something I have wanted to do for a long time. Now it is done.

Forrest on "Scary Traverse"

Summit of Superior

Monte Cristo

Traversing the ridge

Forrest going for it.

Hidden chute

A look back up.

I forgot to charge my helmet cam. So bummed.

Green=up and Red=down

No comments:

Post a Comment