Friday, June 5, 2009

4 a.m. Night Climb...

Brett and Robbie suggested that we go night climbing so I invited Courtney and her roommate Miriem.  After grabbing a new 12 dollar headlamp from Walmart we headed up Rock Canyon to do this really mellow multi-pitch just past the gate.  The moon was pretty close to being full with some mild cloud cover so we could see the canyon well.  

The route is way mellow if you aren't leading it, but I was charged with that honor.  I made the first bolt and was getting ready to clip the second when my foot completely slipped off the wall and I took a good 10-15 foot fall. It was really unexpected to me because I felt like it was a really solid foot hold.  Climbing in the dark can be pretty deceptive at times.  Everyone else made it up just fine.

When we reached the top we threw our glow sticks off  and hung out for a little bit enjoying the view.  We got all ready for the rappel down and sent Robbie first and then Court.  This was Miriems first time rappeling and it wasn't exactly the best of circumstances for her. (Night, Wind, 160 ft.) So she was pretty nervous when we sent her down.

I had anticipated getting to the car around 1:30 maybe 2 a.m..... We got there at 3 in the morning to discover parking tickets compliments of the Provo Police.  I guess there is a curfew on parking there... After dropping off the girls I got home and crawled into bed around 4 a.m. only to awake early the next day to take my little sis, Stacy, climbing. I think I need a nap.
Court and Miriem up top.
Robbie's face....He looks really mad...
Up top getting ready for the rappel
Court making her way up.
A crappy shot of the view.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment